I was recently told about this idea & I love the simplicity of it.
What is it I hear you say? Kaizen is based on creating a continuous improvement in small increments which build to a larger change, which reaps major improvements. As very basic example, you make a 1% change every day, which adds up to a 31% change in a month or 365% over a year. I know sounds so easy, right?
Kaizen is a composed from two Japanese words which together translate as “good change” or “improvement”. Over time it has evolved to mean “continuous improvement”. This part action, part philosophy ideal was originally applied to business, but I think it could just as effectively apply to personal life.
The main principles
- Let go of assumptions.
- Be proactive about problem solving. Set goals & make sure you have any relevant background.
- Don’t just accept the current situation. Review the current situation & develop a plan for an improvement.
- Let go of perfectionism & have an attitude embracing constant & adaptive change. Implement the changes, do it.
- Look for solutions as you find mistakes. Keep reviewing & fixing any issues.
- If a work or even family environment – make sure everyone feels empowered, so they contribute.
- Don’t just accept the obvious issue – ask “why” five times, to get to the root cause.
- Get information & opinions from multiple people
- Be creative to find low cost, small improvements
- Never stop improving, keep the cycle going.
Sounds impressive – straight forward & logical, but how could that apply to your health & wellness? Kaizen will help to make it a lifestyle.
Day 1 – Add an extra glass of water for the day
Day 2 – Walk for 5min extra.
Day 3 – Put an extra vegetable on your plate.
Day 4 – Have a piece of fruit.
Day 5 – Be mindful for 10 min.
Day 6 – Cook an extra meal, to freeze for later.
Day 7 – Add a cup of green tea to your day.
All small changes by themselves but over a month it’s an extra 4 glasses of water, 20min walking, 4 more vegetables & pieces of fruit – it adds up. It doesn’t have to be the same change each week it could be a yoga class, it could be checking in with a family member or friend, it could be reading a book in the sun for 15min.
#Kaizen #smallsteps #motivation #candothis #rightdirection #movingforward #naturalhealth #happyhealthylife