Sure, adding colour to meals will help you live a healthier life – but why? It’s the colours, they contain phytonutrients. These phytonutrient compounds give the plants their rich colours, particular smells & distinctive flavours. Similarly, to how these things protect the plant’s by essentially strengthening their immune system, they do the same for us. Cool right!
So, some colours for you – & why they are important to your health & where to find them.
- Rich in lycopene, it scavenges free radicals.
- Strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, cherries, apples, red onion, beetroot, watermelon, red grapes & red capsicum.
Orange & yellow
- Beta cryptothanxin helps support intracellular communications.
- Carrots, sweet potato, yellow capsicums, oranges, bananas, pineapples, mango, pumpkin, apricots, corn & pumpkin.
- Rich in chemicals like sulforaphane, isocynate, indoles which inhibit the action of carcinogens.
- Spinach, avocados, asaparagus, artichokes, broccoli, kale, brussels sprouts, kiwi fruit, green herbs such as mint, rosemary, sage, thyme & basil.
Blue & purple
- Antioxidant rich & believed to delay aging of our cells.
- Blueberries, blackberries, eggplant, plums, figs, prunes, & purple cabbage.
White & brown
- The onion family contains allicin, a strong antimicrobial. Other foods contain antioxidants such as quercetin.
- Onions, cauliflower, garlic, leek, parsnips, radish, & mushrooms.
You should be aiming for 5 serves of vegetables & 2 serves of fruit, everyday. Need some ideas to get more of your 5 & 2s?
✅ The rule of 2 = Eat 2 serves in the morning, 2 in the afternoon & 2 at dinner
✅ Count snacks = Grab some fruit or munch on veggie sticks
✅ Check that shopping trolley = Mix up those colours, get some of each colour in there
✅ Eating out? = Start with a vege soup, add a salad as a side or fruit salad for dessert
✅ Shop Farmers Markets = Ask the farmer, they probably eat it a lot! Plus, it’s local & fresh, they know what is in season & have some new ideas on how to cook things.
✅ Frozen is OK = Whilst fresh is ideal, frozen is a great plan B…it’s picked & processed immediately, so still super nutritious. Let’s face it, there is not always time for a trip to the farmers market.
Even if the you don’t understand the whys, just remember, colour & variety are a fabulous thing!
#eatarainbow #freshisbest #varietyisking #nutrition #wellness #happyhealthypeople #consciouslynutritious