Honestly, it happens to everyone at some time or other – the fatigue, energy slumps & cravings. Ladies, you can be up for the bonus extras such as irregular menstrual cycles, & iron deficiency. Basically, you feel ratty & frankly just over everything.
If this is the case, liver pate is a great way to get what you need. Stick with me – I know a lot of you are thinking ewwww!
It is pretty much due to the organ meats which are
very, no make that SUPER nourishing. Liver is rich in Vitamin A & B, Folic Acid, CoQ10 & Iron. It is THE best food source of Copper & has high amounts of Selenium, plus it contains Choline. It is seriously full of the good stuff. Pate usually also has calcium & zinc, which ramps the benefits up even further. It is worth noting it is a “eat in moderation” type of food, so it should only be consumed once or even twice a week.
The benefits of liver pate:
- Gram for gram, liver is more nutrient dense than any other food.
- It has heaps of anti-fatigue factors in it.
- A fabulous source of vitamin A (which depletes quickly when you are stressed)
- Also, a great source of B vitamins, especially B12 (again depleted with stress).
- Weirdly consuming liver actually makes your own liver function better, so it actually aids in detox.
OK, whilst I do love pate with fresh crusty bread, with veggie sticks or seedy crackers. However, I realise not everyone is on board with this. An alternative is to ‘hide’ the pate in an everyday meal – a great starter for the little ones. I’ve listed a favourite recipe for just that “huh, never tasted that in there” kind of deal.
Meatballs with Liver
- 1 kg beef mince
- 4 tbspn liver pate
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. all spice
- 2 tsp. turmeric powder – optional
- Olive oil to cook
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, using hands to combine well.
- Roll mince into meatballs.
- Heat olive oil in a frypan, cook meatballs in batches.
However, YOU choose to go – it is an easy way to get yourself back on track. Oh, I love these on flatbread with hummus & coleslaw – just sayin’ Give it a whirl!
#why #healthy #eatwell #livewell #holistichealth #nutrition #liverlove #happyhealthypeople #consciouslynutritious